Monday, September 12, 2011

What I Did During My Week Away From Twitter

by John T. Spencer

What did I do during my week away from Twitter?

Pretty much everything I do without Twitter, just with a little extra mind-wandering, more doodling and maybe a little less distraction.  I didn't write more, run more or watch a foreign movie.

What did I miss out on?

Not much.  I had the same types of conversations I have on Twitter, but I was limited by time and place.

What does this tell me?

That Twitter is an everyday part of life.  It's a place I like to be, but it isn't home.  It's a method of communicating, but it's nothing as vital to me as blogging.

What does this have to do with teaching?

Sometimes techies gush about social media as a transformative tool.  This week reminded me that it hasn't transformed much of my life, much less my approach to teaching.  It has, however, become normal -- and maybe the normalcy is precisely why it's powerful.  When the novelty fades and I find myself drawn toward it again, I am reminded that the place/tool of Twitter has a place in my world.